- 1 cup saltines ground fine
- 2 cups graham cracker ground fine
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tbs cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 large candy canes
- 1 1/2 cup Guittard Organic 74% Dark Couverture Chocolate Wafers (12oz)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Combine the melted butter with ground saltines and graham cracker, just until it holds together when you squeeze it between your fingers.
- Press into a 9" pie pan starting with the sides and pressing into the bottom.
- Put in freezer to firm up.
- In a sauce pan, heat up the milk and candy canes over a low heat until the candy canes dissolve and the milk is simmering.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch.
- Pour half the hot mix over the yolk mixture and whisk constantly.
- Pour the egg mixture into the hot milk and keep stirring until it thickens which can take 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Off heat, add the butter and chocolate, whisking until combined.
- Pour through a sieve to make sure it is smooth.
- Pour sieved custard into pie shell and place in fridge for 4-6 hours until cool and firm.
- Depending on the size of your pie crust, you may have extra custard (best enjoyed with a spoon).
- Whip the cream, sugar and salt together to stiff peaks.
- Place the Whip in a piping bag and dollop on top, or use an offset to spread a thick layer.
- Decorate with dots of cream, more candy canes, even red & green flowers.