- 250 g Guittard 70% Bittersweet Dark Chocolate Baking Bar
- 60 g unsalted butter
- 60 ml strong black coffee
- 4 large eggs separated
- 50 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp Amaretto, rum or brandy optional
- Put the chocolate, butter and coffee in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Leave the chocolate and butter to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Once you have a smooth mixture, remove the bowl from the heat. In a large separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks and the caster sugar together for 5 minutes or until the yolks are pale and thick. Add the alcohol, if using, and whisk to combine.
- Put the egg whites in a clean, grease-free bowl and, using an electric mixer, whisk until they hold stiff peaks.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the egg yolks and mix to combine. Working in three additions, carefully fold in the egg whites using a spatula, folding until you can no longer see any streaks of white.
- Pour the mousse into a large serving bowl or divide among 6-8 serving glasses. Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours to set. Serve topped with a little lightly whipped cream and some crushed amaretti biscuits if you wish.